Monday, November 14, 2005

Just when I think God's not listening........

Yesterday's post worried about the vertigo problems I have. Today, I was worrying about not being around to watch my kids grow up if the MRI returns bad news. All of this is, of course, stuff I have no control over. In the midst of this worrying, this devotional winds up in my inbox:

Why Worry When You Can Meditate?
by John Fischer


Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:1-2)

I’m a chronic worrier. I come from a long line of worriers. A good deal of my conscious time is taken up with the act of worrying. According to Rick Warren, this means I would be good at meditation.

Meditation is focused thinking. It is not just for monks and clerics. David said that he loved to meditate day and night on the word of God. Now this was also while he was running a kingdom, fighting a perpetual enemy on the battlefield, and at times, running for his life. He didn’t have a lot of time to sit with his legs crossed and go “Ommmmmm.” That kind of meditation is meant to clear the mind of all thoughts. Biblical meditation is thinking focused on a particular aspect of God, a part of God’s word, or a reminder of what He has done for you.

Worry is focused thinking as well. It’s focused on what I can’t answer or solve about my situation. Worry, at least for me, is returning over and over again to a place where I am stuck. I must somehow negatively feed on that little flutter of panic each time I follow a path of worry to the same hopeless conclusion. These are thoughts that accompany me throughout the day. I don’t sit down to worry. Worry is nagging negativity.

It would stand to reason that if I can do this kind of professional worrying while I go about my tasks for the day, then I could choose to meditate on God’s word instead. Worry is usually all about what you can’t do anything about anyway. It’s never productive. Imagine all that attention turned to God and His truth.

I have a feeling that if I learned to turn my chronic worrying into meditation, then when I did actually sit down to do something about those things I’m tempted to worry about, I might be in a much better frame of mind to find a solution.

Try it today. If you catch yourself worrying, turn your thoughts instead to God and His word. Take a portion of scripture and turn it over and over in your mind. Remember what God has done for you. Be thankful. Why worry when you can meditate?

Psalm 23
A psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

I love you, Lord
And I lift my voice
To worship you
Oh, my soul rejoice
Take joy, my King
In what you hear
Let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear.

Amen.

2 Comments:

At Monday, November 14, 2005 11:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian:

My twin brother with a different mother.

I stumbled upon your blog, not quite sure how and started reading and figured out that I knew you some how, then clicking on the email address it all came rushing back.


I’ve read a little about your illness, my prayers are with you.

However the email was returned.

Thom

 
At Tuesday, December 06, 2005 9:28:00 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Thomas!!!!!!!!!!

Man, it was SO cool to hear from you. I couldn't figure out, when I got your email, how you had found out. Now I know.

Keep in touch and thanks for your prayers and encouragement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home